Sunday, May 3, 2009

fresca joven

Photobucket
Photobucket

this lunch is what my spanish suenos are made of,
so it gets its own post.
i sought out mariscos emilio with a mission to complete, oysters and manzanilla.
fresco y frio. the word on the calle was that this was the freshest in sevilla.
this was reason solo enough to come to this city.
the bar was seemingly full and i wandered back and fro from the dining room,
waiting for a seat.
a lovely japanese business man was finishing up, questioned me a bit and
offered up his place at the steel bar. barman totally scoffs at me and then i lay it down.
poneme una manzanilla y cuatro ostras (literally, you say put on me what you would like to order)
he stops the ridule and raises a brow, es la verdad senor, i'm no joke and i wanna eat the sea.
we then discuss my shrimp options and i decided on some raw mariscos con cabezas
with my oysters and old lady drink. vamos a comer!
the rest of this may become hazy and dreamlike, it was my sublime.
and i embark on a low tide high.
manzanilla is the speciality drink of andalucia, its a crisp dry sherry served iced cold.
its bloody wonderful with seafood and totally refreshing and
i plan on consuming much more after this lunch.
the mariscos arrive doused in a bit of rock salt. i feel like i just stepped foot on the shore.
i waste no time and peel, suck and indulge myself til i'm giddy,
discarding each decapitated specimen on a plate like a white moon.
ostras interrupt me. they are mucho mas grande than those i'm used to at my
brooklyn beloved marlow and son.
i order another glass and i'm well on my path to oblivion.
i'm meant to arrive at the seaside in a few days but these glossy half shells make
my mouth feel like it beat my body there.
this amigos, is why i chose spain.
i stop for a moment to look up and enjoy the chaos. cockles and calamari. canas and cracking.
these dudes behind the bar are making a swift dance pouring cerveza and knocking open shellfish.
sadly, i finish up my plate, want to order more.
watch the dance a bit longer and let senor know i'm ready to depart.
he seizes the moment again but nod with approval at my empty plates and glass,
'veintiuno, joven' (translation: 21, young one)
hit it.
mariscos emilio!
calle genova, 1
sevilla espana


No comments: