Saturday, February 20, 2010

food dates, in clean well-lighted places


Photobucket
Photobucket

Two of my lovely pals treated me to a couple of fantastic food outings.

I have been to Chika-Licious a couple of times and this time, again
being a lovely experience. I adore all of the staff and their utter
excitement when telling you about the earl gray tea pudding and meyer
lemon sorbet and their love for it is totally contagious. My favourite thing
about this place is watching Chika prepare desserts and her silent little
smile as she does things like torch a creme brulee or perfectly round out
an ice cream scoop.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Hai totally surprised me with the suggestion of going to Minetta Tavern
to sample the infamous burger and the cote de boeuf. It was indulgent
and I loved every minute of it. Here is my day after reactions:

it was fantastic.

we had cocktails- excellent- hai had one with rosemary, delicious-
we shared the black label burger-
perfectly cooked- onion relish on top amazing-
brioche bun was a bit lacking- tasty and wonderful surely- but lost its form and edge
when soaked with the meats juice-just became a mechanism to hold the burger
was good- but wish it held its shape
very tasty- worth 26 bones
not sure but you gotta try it once

and then we had the cote de boeuf
superb
this is the best meat i have ever eaten-
sublime almost and there was tons of it-
and the bone marrow, completely indulgent
soaking it up with the bread- fat becomes fantasy-

when we were making our order, the waitress was like 'i recommend a vegetable,
that is a lot of meat' hai looked at me and i was like hai, we are not here to eat vegetables

i love you david and hai. thank you for eating with me.

No comments: